Saturday, June 21, 2008

Month Five

Dear Jack,

Somehow five months have passed since you were born and I have no idea where the time has gone. I remember going to my breastfeeding support group and seeing moms there with babies who were five months old and they seemed so big! And I was looking at pictures of you when you first born the other day and I couldn’t believe how small (well, scrawny) you were! It’s incredible to me how much you have grown since you were born and how much you have changed.

You are such fun to be around. All smiles and giggles. Very rarely do you cry, unless you are super tired or overly hungry. You and I are a little team, going everywhere together and doing everything together. Although you don’t have separation anxiety (yet) you feel most comfortable with other people if you can see or smell me nearby. I guess you are worried that mommy will leave with your lunch!

Some new things that you are able to do this month is sit up by yourself. You can do this for about a minute before you get too tired. You also love to stand in our laps, and it’s amazing to us how very little we need to support you. We just keep you from toppling over while you do the rest. You have also really started to love jumping in your jumperoo. You look like an Irish dancer doing a jig when you get in your jumping chair. It thrills you so much, and you just smile, giggle and jump until you get exhausted.

This month you took your first long roadtrip. We drove from Virginia to Cape Cod and you hardly fussed at all during the long trip there and back. While we were on the cape, you got to meet your cousins for the first time. You especially enjoyed meeting Mia. You two would hold hands and smile at each other like you knew would be good friends. You also got to celebrate your first Thanksgiving, although there was no turkey or mashed potatos for you—you’ll have to wait until next year for that delight.

It makes me a little sad to think about how quickly these first five months have gone—mostly because I know that time will always seem to go by too quickly from now on. Some days I just want to freeze time so I can hold on to my little baby for a little while longer. But then I see how much more fun you get each month and I don’t want to miss out on watching you become a little boy.

Mommy and Daddy love you so much.

Love,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments: