Saturday, June 21, 2008

Month Eleven

Month Eleven

Dear Jack,

So much has happened over the past month that it’s hard to find the place to start. I guess the biggest thing that has happened is that you have officially begun crawling. No longer do you just sit idly by waiting for your toys to come to you--now you are able to go to your toys. Everyone has been amazed by how quickly you have learned to get around. At first, it was just a few feet, but within a week, you were crawling from room to room, no end in sight, just the steel bars from the babygate stopping you from heading down the stairs and out the door.

With the crawling came the standing. You love to pull yourself up, especially when you are in your crib. Unfortunately, it took you a little longer to figure out how to get yourself back down again. There have been many times over the past month that I’ve had to rescue you from your crib, where you are standing and crying, unable to find a way back down. It was tough for me (especially when I hear you cry), but I realized that I needed to let you figure it out on your own, without my rescuing you. It only took a day for you to learn, once I gave you the chance to figure it out. Now, you just plop yourself down on your bottom when you are done standing.

You also received your first (and second!) haircut this month. Your Aunt Gigi was so sad to see the end of the mohawk era, but since your mohawk had grown so long that it looked more like a poof on your head, I decided that it was time to get the buzzers out. I took you to a haircutter that specializes in kids and they did a fantastic job. You weren’t overly excited about having your haircut, and tried swatting the clippers away from your head several times, but in the end it was worth it—you looked cuter than ever. And your hair ended up growing back so quickly, that I pulled out your daddy’s clippers and shaved your head again last night. Two haircuts in one month! Your hair is really short now, though, and I don’t think you should need another haircut for at least six weeks. Mommy needs a bit more practice in this haircutting thing.

We also celebrated your first birthday early with all of your friends from the breast feeding group. It was a fun and chaotic day which ended with bedlam, um, I mean a group picture. I’m not sure if I can express how exhausting that was. As your Aunt Gigi said, it was like herding cats. The day was memorable and I will laugh every time I look back at the pictures.

We love you and are looking forward to celebrating your first birthday (officially) in one month!

Love,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments: